Friday, October 9, 2009

Burp's Math

Burp was having troubles with his math and I remembered the counting points I learned as a child that really helped me. I asked Psamanthe about it and she said that they'd tried it last year and that it didn't work.

I thought it might be time to maybe give it another shot.

It worked so beautifully. I set him up with a little chart showing the points on the numbers with a little variation on the technique I learned. The number 8 for example, when I was in school, had only 4 points counted twice. Since I knew that Burp is a very visual child, I wanted to make it so that the "8" actually had eight points physically on it without making them too crowded. The number 9 had the same problem of having been three dots each counted three times. I instead superimposed a grid of 9 dots over the top of it, making a pattern and that seemed to work well for him.

I'm pleased that he hasn't gotten a single problem wrong and is finding it so easy - but his reaction totally made it worth it. He's SHOCKED that he's doing so well. He can't believe that he's not having a hard time. It's awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment